Skip to main content

Starving

After two weeks of having the PICC line pumping Zofran, fluids and nutrients into my arm I went for a follow up. The hope was that the Zofran was doing its job and I'd be able to eat and be over the whole awake sickness thing. I walked into the office and when they weighed me, I was down another 10 pounds. I had been afraid to weigh myself at home, but at that moment I knew I couldn't will myself to gain weight, or pray it on.

Dr. Clouatre came in with a really unhappy look and once again I felt hopeless. 'Good news!' he said, followed by, 'weight doesn't matter, nutrients do. We are going to take some blood and do a test just to check. You are probably doing fine, but you'll need to keep the line in a bit longer.'

Awesome. More needles and I got to keep the tube hanging out of my arm. Bonus: rocking the fanny pack longer!

The following morning I got a call from the nurse. She explained my test results (jibberish) and then told me that Clouatre had called his friend, a general surgeon, who made room for me that afternoon. 'Wait... Um, I don't understand. Why do I need a surgeon?', she was super helpful and told me that he would have to discuss that with me at my appointment.

At 2 pm I met with Dr. Handsome. Seriously. I can't remember his name but he was distractingly good looking. He explained to me that if I agreed, he would put in a feeding tube. He explained the process to me, 'I will make a small incision,' still bitter about his definition of small, but that's another story for another day, 'small incision above your belly button, I'll thread a tube through your large intestine because we have to bypass your stomach, and then the tube will come out a different spot where you will hook up the food pump. The initial incision will be sewn back up.' hmmmm. Sounds drastic. 'Dr. Handsome, is this really necessary?', with his fantastic bedside manner he explained, 'If we don't do this, one of two things will happen: you will starve to death along with your twins, or you will lose both babies.' Alrighty then! Easy decision, right? 'You've done this before, yes? What are the risks to my babies?' he reassured me that he had done thousands of these procedures, but never on a pregnant woman, it was a simple outpatient surgery, and the risks, of course, would be losing one or both babies. 'If you can go ahead and make a decision, I can get you in tomorrow morning at 6am.' I told him yes, and that if I didn't show, I had changed my mind.

Starving. To death. All of us. It was a no brainer. We had survived thirteen weeks together. I would do anything to try and save my babies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When you just can't even...

So, I am typically a person who is completely and utterly against putting any size, shape or sort of dirty laundry on social media, which is why many people didn't even know when I was going through a divorce. I'm making an exception today, because frankly, I just can't even. I'm so bewildered, flabbergasted, confused, taken aback (insert EVERY synonym for any of these terms here) at a situation that took place today, so much so, that I JUST CAN'T EVEN. CAN'T. Do you ever have those days where everything goes wrong, or just seems so ridiculous that you are certain that at some point you are going to run into a wall that is painted to look like the sky because you know that you absolutely have to be on something like the Truman Show where everything is happening for someone else's entertainment? No, just me? Huh. Well, the last few months, I keep waiting for someone to jump out and shout "Smile! You're on Candid Camera!" It hasn't happened...

To the Man I Never Met

I think we would have been good friends, you and I. I would have enjoyed giving you hell about 'America's Team' and Tony Romo, even though your son has taught me to love and respect them. We would have watched football games, drinking beer and smoking cigarettes. I'm sure you would have teased me about being so uptight and anxious about the kids running around the house before dinners, cookouts, or during games. I wish I had gotten the chance to know you, Gary Sugar. In the last two years I have learned so many amazing facts about you. Most importantly, you were victorious. You were brave, courageous, selfless and stubborn. You raised two incredible men. “Carve your name on hearts, not tombstones. A legacy is etched into the minds of others and the stories they share about you.”  ―  Shannon L. Alder You are missed. deeply. It's hard for me to even consider publishing those words, because I know that they don't even begin to convey the depth that you are l...

What is a Birth Story?

Honestly, I have no idea. When I learned I was expecting, I downloaded the What To Expect app on my iPhone. Immediately I was connected with a TON of other moms expecting in the same month my babies were due. We had a fantastic, drama filled pregnancy journey, however; that in itself is it's own story. After most momma's gave birth, they posted a 'Birth Story' thread in our forum. These consisted mostly of the events that occurred from the first contraction until baby was in her arms. They were all beautiful. Some were considerably different from how the momma had planned her delivery, and some fit momma's plans exactly. More often than not, there was at least one disappointment in how things went down. I had twins. C-section. Not at all how I'd hoped, so I never shared mine. I feel like its a bit boring, but when you know the whole shebang, it's beautiful. I'm going to begin to share it with you tonight. Thursday, December 03, 2009 (yep, I'm...